Responsible fiscal spending seems to be the most important matter.
I believe the entire problem currently being experienced is based on the
simple fact that so many are living beyond their means.
Way too much money is being wasted, but you can't say it's wasted on
entertainment values (sports) -  I agree that it is an area that's gotten
way out of hand.  Too much money is going into the hands of too few
participants.  But many people are employed by the expenses of the
entertainment arena - but I would wager that the guy behind the $5 hot dog
is NOT making $1 for every dog he sells! (and I think that's very wrong).
When I hear people yammering about money spent on far-flung research I
cringe.  If we're not advancing science through finding better ways to blow
up people, places and things - we're not moving forward unless we're
spending billions on space travel, telescopes mega-colliders and medical
research!  That is as important as infrastructure maintenance.  And all
these items have trickle-down benefits to the everyday man and or woman. The
unconscionable  skimming  of megadollars by CEOs and their golden shower
parachutes - That Has To STOP.  That is a tax paid by the most productive
persons in organizations which brings the house down (as we've been seeing).
But above all, I feel like increasing our population is something more wrong
than anything else that we're doing.  To maintain our planet, our children's
children's children's  quality of life we - need to scale back the
population by 10% every decade.  (And NOT just the conscientious among us!
Call it "immoral" if you will, but what could be "moral" about writing debts
upon our planet that it can not pay!?)
-WaV