I would agree with all that you say on that, Charles.
I'm using something right now that just might have knocked the socks off of
the Cray Multimillion Whateveritwas of 25 years ago.
I think it cost me less than $200 to build (with recycled hard drives, CD
and DVD devices).
I don't imagine there's much push to go beyond the 4Ghz level, (if that's
where the bar is now - I haven't checked lately)
but puttering along at 2.5Ghz seems to do just about everything I need.  I'm
not sure if there's another technical barrier in going faster, but it would
seem that the bottleneck now is situated on the I/O buss, memory access and
stuff such as that...
It will be interesting to see how large scale multicore networking will
evolve - Modeling the human brain might give way to a sentient and
self-aware system within the lifetimes of many who are around now.
-WaV