I was generally referring to imported oil prices and profit margins as that is
where most of it comes from.
Fritz

________________________________
From: Brian Riordan [mailto:riordan.br...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 3:43 PM
To: Fritz Holt
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] OT - price of gas

It all depends.  A classic Texas gusher takes nothing to get a lot.  Deepwater
fields cost a certain amount to initiate, produce and transport, if the current
price doesn't offset that, they lose, while the Texas gusher may still make
money.  Canadian Oil Sands require even more to upgrade the oil (besides, who
the hell wants to work in Northern Alberta, just take a look at housing prices!
http://www.colinhartigan.com/view_listing.php?listing=mls&id=8320001070)- it
takes so much energy to produce the crude oil here, that without a high oil
price, it doesn't make sense to dig it up.  If a company initiates a project
because it became economical at 80 bucks a barrel, they may lose money on that
field for every day of production under 80 bucks/barrel, while the Texas gusher
STILL makes money.  To oversimplify...

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 3:04 PM, Fritz Holt