Cavers,

(My apologies if you receive this message more than once.)

We are all feeling the pinch of high food, gas, and other costs at the present
time, but if you happen to have a few extra dollars that you might be willing
to part with for worthy causes, I would like to call your attention to two new
NSS funds which have just been added to the NSS website's donation page, if you
are so inclined to contribute.

1.    The first is the fund for the Junior Speleological Society, which
provides a comprehensive program of courses, training, and activities for youth
at NSS Conventions.  The JSS teaches and encourages those who we hope will be
some of the cavers and speleologists of tomorrow.  Longtime and dedicated
Co-Chairs Rick and Faye Bowersox will be stepping down after next year's
International Congress, and much of the vertical and other equipment that the
JSS has been using over the years is the Bowersoxes' personal property which
they have generously lent for use.  It is anticipated that funds will be needed
to replace much of this equipment.

At the instigation of John Fox, Craig Hindman, and others, the Virginia Region
passed a motion at last fall's meeting to generously contribute annually to the
JSS.  This thoughtful VAR donation will go a long way toward supporting JSS
programs.  I believe the New River Valley Grotto and perhaps other
organizations have also recently made contributions, and these are much
appreciated.  However, for those who have children of their own, or who might
want to support the next generation of cavers, this is a fund to which you
might wish to consider making a donation.

2.    The second addition to the donation page is the White Nose Syndrome Rapid
Response Fund, a new fund just created by the NSS Board at this summer's
meeting.  As all undoubtedly know by now, WNS is a serious situation under
intensive study by scientists.  Often, there are long administrative delays in
dispensing grants for research, and this new NSS fund is intended to provide
more timely funding for research into WNS.  (The motion provides details which
will be posted in the summer meeting minutes, currently being written and which
will be placed on the NSS website in the near future.)  For those cavers who
have a particular interest in helping to further the study of this syndrome,
you might wish to consider directing your dollars here.

The NSS donations page can be accessed at www.caves.org, and by then clicking
on "donate."  There are many other funds which are worthy of your donations,
but I just wanted to make NSS members aware of these new funds.

Thank you to all who have generously contributed to the NSS and its funds in
the past, and thank you in advance for your future contributions.  Your
donations are much, much appreciated!

Linda Baker Devine
NSS Board of Governors

(Permission very gladly given to repost on other caver listservs.)