texascavers Digest 4 Sep 2008 13:36:17 -0000 Issue 601

Topics (messages 8869 through 8877):

Re: Nevada Barr's "Blind Descent"
        8869 by: J. LaRue Thomas
        8870 by: Louise Power

Re: Portal to mythical Mayan underworld found in Mexico
        8871 by: Allan Cobb

Rainwater Harvesting Workshop on Saturday, September 6th
        8872 by: Jules Jenkins

Re: HYdrogeology Brown bag 5 September - GEOLOGY AND HEALTH IN TEXAS: AN
OVERVIEW
        8873 by: germanyj.aol.com
        8876 by: TM Raines

New NSS Funds
        8874 by: Minton, Mark

APB for the Goggins
        8875 by: Kevin McGowan

Mexico Insurance
        8877 by: Minton, Mark

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
Blind Descent was my 1st Nevada Barr book, read when I was barely a caver. I.
too, have read all but the most recent.

One thing that bothered me from Blind Decent and it may have been corrected in
later versions but the editor never caught "light leach" which I think is
supposed to be "light leech" as in "being a leech." Yes?

Jacqui
Visiting Kel in Colorado and not caving at all.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi Jacqui,

It's been so long since I read Blind Descent, I don't remember the context for
"light leach." My online dictionary defines leach as:

Definition:

[n]  the process of leaching
[v]  remove substances from by a percolating liquid; "leach the soil"
[v]  permeate; penetrate gradually; of liquids
[v]  cause (a liquid) to leach or percolate
and leech as:

Definition:

[n]  carnivorous or bloodsucking aquatic or terrestrial worms typically having
a sucker at each end
[n]  a follower who hangs around a host (without benefit to the host) in hope
of gain or advantage
[v]  draw blood; "In the old days, doctors routinely bled patients as part of
the treatment"
So, possibly in leech, definition 2?

Louise

From: jlrbills@sonoratx.netTo: power_lou...@hotmail.com;
texascavers@texascavers.comSubject: Re: [Texascavers] Nevada Barr's "Blind
Descent"Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 10:29:32 -0500

Blind Descent was my 1st Nevada Barr book, read when I was barely a caver. I.
too, have read all but the most recent.

One thing that bothered me from Blind Decent and it may have been corrected in
later versions but the editor never caught "light leach" which I think is
supposed to be "light leech" as in "being a leech." Yes?

Jacqui
Visiting Kel in Colorado and not caving at all.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
This story was posted about two weeks ago.  I received some pictures from the
cave and was asked to add them to my website.  So, for your enjoyment, you can
see them at www.oztotl.com/maya/xibalba.

Allan

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
FYI,
For those of you who are interested in water conservation methods you can do at
home or for those who don't live in the city and depend on well water (aquifer)
and have to be concerned about water during times of drought, like NOW, you
might be interested in attending this rainwater capture workshop..

jules

Subject: Rainwater Harvesting Workshop on Saturday, September 6th

Date: Wednesday, September 3, 2008, 4:21 PM

Using Water Wisely Workshop

Rain, free but at times a scarce
commodity!  This seminar concentrates on capturing rainwater and
landscaping with plants requiring little water.   Confine rainwater
and save it for your own use!  Gain the
knowledge necessary to build a rainwater harvesting system.  All the
basics are covered to build a non potable water harvesting system.

·
Not ready for a full blown rainwater harvesting system?
Think small.  A demonstration will show how to make a simple, inexpensive
rain barrel collection system.

·
Lower
your water usage by utilizing native and adapted landscape plants that look
great and need a minimal amount of water to thrive.

·
Learn
the 7 principles of xeriscaping.

·
Vendors
representing tanks, pumps and guttering will be available to answer specific
questions.  City of Austin representatives will be available to answer
permit and rebate questions.

This free seminar is
presented by the Travis Country Master Gardeners Association, a volunteer arm
of the Texas A&M and Travis County AgriLife Extension Service.  No reservations
taken.

Saturday, Sept. 6

10:00 AM - Noon

West Rural Community Center

8656 Hwy. 71 W, Build. A, Austin

(After the "Y" at Hwy
71/290 go 1+ mile to stoplight at Covered Bridge and turn right.
Immediately on left is the Fire Station then up the hill to Building A. on
the left.)

Rosalie
Russell

CO-VP