texascavers Digest 9 Sep 2008 12:52:24 -0000 Issue 603

Topics (messages 8894 through 8898):

even more interesting
        8894 by: Gill Ediger

The September 2008 meeting of the Permian Basin Speleological Society
        8895 by: Bill Bentley

Robber Baron Workday - Sat. Sept. 20
        8896 by: Joe Mitchell

Bexar Grotto meeting tonight, 8 September 2008
        8897 by: Randy Baker

Help Needed in Athens for BSA Caving Talk the Weekend of TCR, Oct. 12th
        8898 by: mark.alman.l-3com.com

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
At 08:02 AM 9/6/2008, wp...@cox.net wrote:
I just found this on youtube.com

I found this even more interesting. Places to go caving:

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/activity/caving.htm?gclid=CK3Y39niyZUCFQOuFQodnz8LjA

--Ediger
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
[Meeting Notice]

Greetings cavers, cave people, troglodytes, and spelunkers,
The regularly scheduled monthly meeting of the Permian Basin Speleological
Society will be on Tuesday September 9th, 2008 at 7:00 PM.

The September 2008 (297th) meeting of the Permian Basin Speleological Society
will be on Tuesday September 9th, 2008, 7:00 PM in the back room at Murray's
Deli which is located at 3211 West Wadley in Midland.
Topics of discussion: Cave stuff? DUES! Hosting the Winter Regional? Summer
cave dig someplace? 25 year anniversay party. TCR & T-Shirts orders; pay up or
lose out!

For further information contact an officer: Kerry Lowery
klowe...@suddenlink.net  , Sharon Long sharon_long2...@yahoo.com ,  Karen Perry
txcavem...@yahoo.com or Barry Hayes caveliz...@yahoo.com .

PBSS web page:
http://www.caver.net/pbss/pbss.html

The Permian Basin Speleological Society was founded in October 1983 and was
chartered as the 300th grotto of the National Speleological Society on January
18, 1984. The Permian Basin Speleological Society is an affiliated Grotto or
Caving club with the Texas Speleological Association and the Southwestern
Region of the National Speleological Society and supports the cave conservation
ethics of the National Speleological Society.

National Speleological Society web page:
http://www.caves.org/

Southwestern Region of the NSS web page:
http://www.caves.org/region/swr/

Texas Speleological Association web page:
http://www.cavetexas.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Robber Baron Restoration Project Work Day Announcement

The Texas Cave Management Association (TCMA) invites you to our upcoming work day at Robber Baron Cave Preserve! Join us as we close in on completing our long running restoration project to restore the entrance area of the longest cave in Bexar County. The property is looking great thanks to the help of many volunteers, but we now need your help to finish up the project!

There are only two more regularly scheduled restoration project days left. They are:
Sat., Sept 20
Sat., Oct 25

For our upcoming work day, Saturday, Sept. 20, we will be working on planting native plants, tree trimming, spreading gravel, and removing some material from the sinkhole. We are working to clean up the property for the Open House to mark the end of the project on Sat., Nov. 8th.

We will start around 8:30 am and the cave will be open for visitation afterwards for those helping out (gear will be available if you don't have your own). Drinking water and lunch will be provided.

Items to bring:
- Shovels
- Trowels
- Pickaxes
- Wheelbarrows
- Loppers
- Water for plants
- Gloves
- Sturdy shoes

If you need a place to stay overnight, let us know and we can set you up. If you need directions, let me know.

Robber Baron Preserve contains one of the most unique caves in the San Antonio area, and is owned by TCMA, a non-profit organization dedicated to cave preservation. More information about Robber Baron and TCMA can be found at: www.tcmacaves.org/robberbaron

Thanks to everyone who has helped out so far and we hope to see you there!

Joe Mitchell
joemitch...@satx.rr.com
Home: 210-679-8408
Cell: 210-825-1298

Linda Palit
lkpa...@sbcglobal.net
Home: 210-699-1388

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
The Bexar Grotto is holding its twice-a-month meeting tonight at Chester's
Hamburgers, 16609 San Pedro Ave, San Antonio,
http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=29.5936569&lon=-98.473718&z=18&l=0&m=a&v=2

You might want to download/print your very own copy of the Bexar Grotto
calendar from our website:
http://www.caves.org/grotto/bexargrotto/Bexar_Calendar.pdf

It comes in handy for tracking upcoming grotto events, and it also makes
excellent note-taking and doodling paper.

Randy Baker
Bexar Grotto Webmaster

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

Good morning, y'all.

I received the request below for assistance for a cave talk (s) the weekend of
TCR.

These talks are for a training course for adult leaders for Venturing Scouts
(ages 13 thru 21) on Sunday.

I would love to help out with these talks, as I'm a strong advocate of
educating youth and their leaders in proper caving techniques, conservation,
preservation, groundwater protection, and enlightening them on the importance
of caves, but I will be at TCR that weekend and need to have my TSA hat on for
the meetings on Sunday.

My sons and I have been involved in Venturing and my daughter and I are current
members, except, we ride horses!

Anyone in the DFW area interested in helping these folks out?

If so, please contact me offline.

I have plenty of props, tapes, posters, NSS material, etc. for show-and-tell
and a short agenda of items I cover during cave talks I've given in the past.

If you're not going to TCR, please consider helping these folks out.

Folks like this are future cavers. Let's get them educated accordingly!

Thanks,

Mark Alman

Mark,

I'm Steve Moore a staff member for the upcoming Powderhorn class we will be
having in Athens, Texas at Camp Cherokee.

We would like to have someone come discuss caving on Sunday 10/12/08 at
three 1 hour repeat sessions from 9-12. The

Participants of Powderhorn are Venturing Advisors, Scoutmasters and Scout
Leaders. They will be receiving info on various hi adventure activities
basically how to put on a hi adventure activity  safely and with proper
consultants.

--- End Message ---