texascavers Digest 21 Sep 2008 19:43:33 -0000 Issue 610

Topics (messages 8967 through 8973):

review of guide to show caves
        8967 by: Mixon Bill

Re: Headlamp Recall
        8968 by: Minton, Mark

review: cave art books
        8969 by: Mixon Bill

Vulcanospeleology symposia proceedings
        8970 by: Mixon Bill

Re: Cave Books For Sale
        8971 by: Stephen Fleming

IKE
        8972 by: Wayne Hutchinson

Re: Texas Cavers Reunion
        8973 by: Butch Fralia

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message --- "Gurnee Guide to American Show Caves." Jeanne Gurnee. R. H. Gurnee, Goodlettsville, Tennessee; 2008. ISBN 978-0-9816252-0-1. 5.5 by 8.5 inches, 220 pages, softbound. $19.99. This is the latest in a series of similar books. The first was "Visiting American Caves" by Howard Sloane and Russell Gurnee (1966), and it was followed by two editions of "Gurnee Guide to American Caves," by Russell and Jeanne Gurnee (1980 and 1990). All are tourists' guides to the show caves of the United States. The new book, like its predecessors, contains summary information about caves open to the public, sorted by state. There is an index to cave names for those who might not know what state a cave is in. Driving directions, hours of operation, contact information, and descriptions of tours are given. Fee are not, because they vary (and, I suspect, because they might discourage prospective customers). New to this edition is that the photo included for most of the caves is in color. Don't expect many good photos, though, because they were submitted by the cave managements. The book is reasonably priced and contains a wealth of information. Just don't expect a critical review of the caves. The book is the sort that is written as much as an advertisement for the caves as a service to the reader.--Bill Mixon
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
NEWS from CPSC
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission Office of Information and Public
Affairs Washington, DC 20207

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 18, 2008
Release #08-403 Firm's Recall Hotline: (877) 740-3826
CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

Safety Alert: Petzl America Warns of Burn Hazard from Headlamps; Product Should
Only Be Used with Non-Rechargeable Batteries
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation
with the firm named below, today announced a safety alert for the following
consumer products. Consumers should immediately stop using rechargable
batteries with any of the products listed below.
Name of Product: "MYO" and "MYO Belt" Headlamps
Units: About 322,000
Distributor: Petzl America, of Clearfield, Utah
Manufacturer: Petzl S.A., of Crolles, France
Hazard: If the headlamp is used with rechargeable batteries, the cable
connecting the battery pack to the lamp can spark, melt, or catch fire. This
poses a burn hazard to consumers.
Incidents/Injuries: Petzl has received 13 reports of sparking and/or melting,
with 2 reports of flames. One consumer received a minor burn to the hand, and
another experienced singed hair.
name and model numbers listed below. The "MYO" headlamps have a battery pack
attached to the headband. The "MYO Belt" headlamps have a remote battery pack
attached to the headlamp via a long electric cable. Name Model Number
MYO E26P
MYO-black E26PN
MYO 3 E27P
MYO 3-black E27PN
MYO 5 E28P
MYO 5-black E28PN
MYO Belt 3 E29 P
MYO Belt 5 E30 P
MYOLITE E31 P
MYOLITE 3 E32 P
MYOBELT SB5 E33 P
MYO XP, blue E83 P
MYO XP, gray E83 P2
MYOBELT XP, blue E84 P
MYO XP BELT, gray E84 P2

The name of the product can be found on the side of the headlamp and on the
packaging. The model number can be found on the packaging.
Sold at: Specialty retailers nationwide from February 2003 through August 2008
for between $40 and $80.
Manufactured in: France
Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using rechargeable batteries with the
headlamps and contact Petzl to obtain a new warning label. Consumers can
continue to use the headlamps with non-rechargeable batteries.
Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Petzl America toll-free
at (877) 740-3826 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. MT Monday through Friday, or visit
the firm's Web site at http://www.petzl.com

MYOLITE Headlamp

MYOLITE 3 Headlamp

MYO XP Headlamp

MYO XP Belt Headlamp
---
Send the link for this page to a friend! The U.S. Consumer Product Safety
Commission is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of
serious injury or death from more than 15,000 types of consumer products under
the agency's jurisdiction. Deaths, injuries and property damage from consumer
product incidents cost the nation more than $800 billion annually. The CPSC is
committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire,
electrical, chemical, or mechanical hazard. The CPSC's work to ensure the
safety of consumer products - such as toys, cribs, power tools, cigarette
lighters, and household chemicals - contributed significantly to the decline in
the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past
30 years.
To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury, call CPSC's hotline
at (800) 638-2772 or CPSC's teletypewriter at (800) 638-8270, or visit CPSC's
web site at www.cpsc.gov/talk.html. To join a CPSC email subscription list,
please go to https://www.cpsc.gov/cpsclist.aspx. Consumers can obtain this
release and recall information at CPSC's Web site at www.cpsc.gov.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- "Cave Art: A Guide to the Decorated Ice Age Caves of Europe." Paul G. Bahn. Francis Lincoln, London; 2007. ISBN 978-0-7112-2655-5. About 5 by 8 inches, 224 pages, softbound. $24.95.

"Cave Art." Jean Clottes. Phaidon, New York; 2008. ISBN 978-0-7148-4592-0. 11.5 by 10 inches, 334 pages, hardbound. $90.

Bahn's little book is a tourists' guide to the Paleolithic art sites in Europe, mainly in France and Spain. Most are caves, but some are cliffs, rock shelters, or museums. There is a short introduction to ancient European cave art in general, and then a tabulation of sites open to the public, with brief descriptive text and listings of data such as location, hours, and fees. One or more color photos accompanies most of the more than fifty listings.

Jean Clottes's book is the ideal coffee-table book of Paleolithic cave art. The covers are an eighth of an inch thick, and the paper is about as thick as the cover on a typical mass-market paperback. The whole thing weighs four and a half pounds. There are a short introductory text followed by nearly 250 color photographs, mostly of painted or engraved art found deep in caves. The arrangement is chronological, with emphasis on Chauvet, Lascaux, and Niaux caves as representative of their periods, although many other caves are represented. Most of the photos are at least a half-page in size, and many cover a full two- page spread, which works well because the binding allows the book to open nearly flat anywhere. Each photograph is accompanied by a long paragraph of description, including a statement of scale. Still, I regret the customary lack of anything for scale in photos of Paleolithic art; reading that a bull in Lascaux is 395 centimeter long is not the same as seeing that for oneself.

Compared to the other "Cave Art," Jean Clottes's book is a much better deal, despite its higher price.--Bill Mixon
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I have scanned and made PDF files of the proceedings volumes for the first and third International Symposia on Vulcanospeleology (1976, 1982 in the US) and the program booklet and excursion guidebook for the fifth (1986 in Japan). They can be viewed or downloaded from www.vulcanospeleology.org/symposia.html . There are PDF files for the complete book (up to ~40MB in size) and also for the individual articles in them (mostly less than a MB). The pages are all just graphic images, so the text cannot be searched. Thanks to Bill Halliday for permission to post the first and third and for the loan of the materials for the fifth for scanning. I also have permission to post the proceedings of the sixth symposium (1991, US [Hawaii]), published by the NSS. It should be available in PDF form at the same place in a couple of weeks.-- Bill Mixon, Association for Mexican Cave Studies The proceedings of the tenth, eleventh, and twelfth have recently been published as AMCS bulletin 19. See www.amcs-pubs.org.
Feel free to copy this anywhere---spread the word.
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
All...

Successful bidders will be notified shortly and arrangements made for
delivery.

A revised list of remaining items available will be posted in a week or so.

My apologies for the delay; I still am somewhat out of pocket at the moment
with respect to my travel situation and internet access.

Stephen Fleming

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
We came through OK. Internet access restored Saturday 9/20. Lights on Friday
evening 9/19.
All of the damage in my neighborhood was caused by falling trees. My natural
gas powered generator paid off big time.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Did you ever find out what the status is for RV's?

Butch