I mentioned last week that Fry's had a new flashlight called the P6 that
I wanted to test, but don't yet have the money.

Now they have in the P14 and the P17.

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/theshorelinemarket_2024_15476918

http://www.flashlightoutlet.com/store/pc/catalog/p148414_p14_2226_detail.jpg

Both of these are too big and heavy to take caving.      However, I am "very"
curious about the colators used to diffuse the light.     Coast claims they
create a flood pattern.      If so, the P14 might come in handy on a trip to
a big cave.      I am willing to bet it is the brightest flashlight in the world
that uses 4 AA batteries ( The old Princeton Tec - Xenon Surge requried
8 AA batteries, which shows you how far we have come now. )

The P14 was around $ 70 and the P17 around $ 80.

The P17 is aimed at security guards that need a very bright
flashlight.     It uses 3 D size batteries.

http://www.brightguy.com/images/bgimages/COAHP8417_2.jpg

Imagine 189 lumens for 700 hours.    That is awesome!

These lights appear to be very water resistant, and well built, but I won't
know that for sure until I get one in my hands and try to take it apart.

I will be disappointed if the light pattern sucks.

However, both lights claim to have a dim switch.     Hurray!!     Finally
somebody is listening.

I know some of you are getting bored with this thread, but caver's
in the future will someday have an inexpensive, bright,
water-resistant headlamp;
so until then, all I can do is, document what I see:

http://cableorganizer.com/outlet/efilliate/image/P7787a.jpg

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/52006059/LED_HEADLAMP.jpg

David Locklear