texascavers Digest 13 Nov 2008 19:46:05 -0000 Issue 642

Topics (messages 9356 through 9372):

NSS banquet in Kerrville
        9356 by: Mixon Bill

NSS Fellow in Texas
        9357 by: Jim Kennedy
        9358 by: David
        9359 by: Don Cooper

book review: Caves of Knoxville
        9360 by: Mixon Bill
        9361 by: Louise Power

CBSP Compass Found
        9362 by: keith heuss
        9363 by: Andy Zenker

pit safety
        9364 by: David
        9367 by: John Brooks
        9368 by: Sheryl Rieck

UT Grotto visitor info?
        9365 by: Mixon Bill

Sat. Nov 15th cleanup at Whirlpool Cave Preserve
        9366 by: Jules Jenkins

TSA Fall Business Meeting Minutes
        9369 by: mark.alman.l-3com.com

Re: Proofreading
        9370 by: Minton, Mark

pit viper safety
        9371 by: Gill Ediger

Re: Longhorn Caverns State Park offers concert series Nov.22
        9372 by: Jim Kennedy

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message --- That's a darn good idea. At $38 (!!!) extra, there would have been hardly anybody there to see the NSS awards. I didn't pay it.

A reminder that the deadline for nominations for those awards is this coming Saturday, Nov 15. See http://caves.org/committee/award/ and then click on the individual award or see the October NSS News for information on who should receive the nominations. -- Bill Mixon
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On 11 Nov, Bill Mixon said: "A reminder that the deadline for
nominations for those awards is this coming Saturday, Nov 15. See
http://caves.org/committee/award/ and then click on the individual award
or see the October NSS News for information on who should receive the
nominations."

I did some checking around.  To date, the NSS lists 1111 Fellows.  Texas
has 503 NSS members, 47 of which are NSS Fellows, or 9.3% of Texas NSS
members.  There are a lot of dedicated Texas cavers who are also NSS
members who are conspicuously absent from that list, like John Moses,
Gary Napper, Sue Schindel, Paul Fambro, Jon Cradit, John Brooks, Allan
Cobb, Butch Fralia, Charley Savvas, Chris Thibodaux, Julie Jenkins, R.
D. Milhollin, Kenny McGee, Lee Jay Graves, Rafal Kedzierski, Walter
Feaster, Nico Hauwert, Michael Cicherski, Geoff Hoese, Becky Jones, John
Green, Philip Rykwalder, Chris Vreeland, Emily & Kevin McGowan, Mark
Alman, and so on.  There are also other ex-Texas cavers that both are
and should be Fellows.  Note that this list is not intended as an
endorsement for these fine folks, nor is it what I would consider an
exhaustive list of all potential Fellows.  It is merely to point out
that we are doing ourselves a disservice by not having more Texas cavers
recognized by the NSS for our achievements.  Are we just too lazy to go
through the simple nomination process?

Next year the NSS Convention is going to be in Texas, along with the ICS
in Kerrville.  It sure would be nice to have more of our own recognized
there.  Anybody feel like spearheading some nominations?  It's not too
late!

-- Crash, NSS 26791FL

TEXAS NSS MEMBERS WITH FELLOW STATUS

NSS#    Name                    City
2886    James F. Martin Marfa
4357    William H. Russell      Austin
4569    Glen K. Merrill         Houston
4603    Orion Knox, Jr.         Austin
4897    James R. Reddell        Austin
5566    Pete Lindsley           Lucas
5728    William Mixon           Austin
6154    Terry W. Raines         Driftwood
6230    Carl E. Kunath          San Angelo
6419    David W. McKenzie       Austin
6516    Thomas R. Evans Livingston
6746    Doug Rhodes             El Paso
7248    James F. Jasek          Waco
7616    Ron Ralph               Manchaca
7669    Ronald G. Fieseler      Blanco
8072    C. William Steele       Irving
8298    Peter C. Strickland     Austin
9514    Donald L. Broussard     Driftwood
9572    Eugene C. Hargrove      Denton
9782    Walter Olenick          Austin
10010   Gill Ediger             Austin
10033   Robert E. Burnett       Austin
11048   Charles W. Fromen       Houston
11077   Mike Walsh              Cedar Park
11274   Logan McNatt            Austin
12611   Mike L. Warton          Camp Wood
13020   Merlin Tuttle           Austin
13138   Louise D. Hose          Friendswood
13484   Ernest Garza            Driftwood
13549   Paul S. Unger II                Rockdale
14356   Jay R. Jorden           Celina
14445   Peter Sprouse           Buda
15667   Andy G. Grubbs  San Marcos
15827   Geary M. Schindel       San Antonio
16703   Thomas M. Iliffe        Galveston
17323   Steve W. Boehm  Seguin
21977   William T. Bentley      Midland
22200   Kurt Menking            San Antonio
22368   Gerald L. Atkinson      Kingwood
23572   Keith E. Goggin Sugar Land
24695   Linda K. Palit          San Antonio
26442   James G. Coke IV        The Woodlands
26791   Jim "Crash" Kennedy     Austin
30513   Corrine Schwartz        San Marcos
32206   Benjamin Schwartz       San Marcos
33083   Jean Krejca             Austin
39894   Beverly Shade           Austin
41852   Kevin W. Stafford       Nacogdoches

I sincerely apologize if I left anyone out.

Confidentiality Note: This email and any attachment to it are
confidential and protected by law and intended for the use of the
individual(s) or entity named on the email. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination or distribution of this communication is prohibited. If
via return email and delete it completely from your email system. If you
have printed a copy of the email, please destroy it immediately. Thank
you

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I would like to informally nominate several Houston cavers:

1.    Harry Walker
2.    Jim McLane
3.    Kevin McGowan
4.    Emily McGowan
5.    Kenny McGee
6.    Carol McGee
7.    George Sanders
8.    Tommy Joe
9.    Eddie Yonemoto
10.   Carl Philip Fromen
11.  Syd Formanek
12.   Don Formanek

If anyone out there can confirm they are worthy, please feel free to
fill out the nomination request.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
David, are you an NSS member?

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 9:02 PM, David <dlocklea...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to informally nominate several Houston cavers:

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- "Caves of Knoxville and the Great Smoky Mountains." Larry E. Matthews. National Speleological Society, Huntsville, Alabama; 2008. ISBN 978-1-879961-30-2. 8.5 by 11 inches, 295 pages, softbound. $24 (NSS life members $20, other NSS members $22).

This in another book by speleo-historian Larry Matthews, similar to his 2007 "Caves of Chattanooga," although considerably longer. It contains detailed histories and descriptions of eight show caves in the area, as well as five more caves that were open to the public at one time and one popular rock shelter in the national park. There are over three hundred illustrations, including modern and historic photographs, cave maps, and reproductions of old postcards and brochures. Much of the text is quoted from earlier sources. Like the earlier book, this one was written with an eye toward sales to the public at the show caves, so don't expect a critical review. For example, the blatantly phony publicity photo of the lake in Lost Sea (aka Craighead Caverns) that Roy Davis once prepared by combining several shots of one boat, a photo of the cave ceiling, and a photo of the surface of Lake Cumberland is reproduced in figure 10.18 without comment. Nevertheless, there is a lot of good information here for those interested in the histories of show caves.

The illustrations are well reproduced, but the typography is often awkward. The text contains some redundancies. For example, a sentence near the bottom of the first column on the first page of the first chapter reads, "Crudgington bought 800 acres of farmland, including the entrance to the cave, in 1866." Two sentences later: "The first owner of the cave was Robert Crudgington, who purchased 800 acres of land, including the cave, in 1866." Why does the NSS keep publishing books that nobody has ever read?--Bill Mixon

(There is another review of this book, by Dave Hughes, in the October "NSS News." My review has not been submitted to anyone for publication; feel free to reproduce wherever.)
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Bill,

You said: Why does the NSS keep publishing books that nobody has ever read?

As a proofreader/editor/writer myself, I think the question should be, why do
authors think they can publish a book without a proofreader and an editor? My
experience is that I am my own worst proofreader.

Louise> From: bmixon...@austin.rr.com> To: texascavers@texascavers.com> Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 12:11:50 -0600> CC: nss6...@bellsount.net; dwhug...@aol.com;
tom....@hughes.net> Subject: [Texascavers] book review: Caves of Knoxville> >
[...]

If you or someone you know went with me to the McLarrin Fissure Karst last
weekend and I borrowed your compass, I have it.  Let me know your name and
where you are and I can get it back to you.

Keith Heuss

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Probably belongs to one of those Aggies ...  man, they proved every joke about
them to be true LOL

ROCKHUGGER
 Andy Zenker
Texas Caver

If you or someone you know went with me to the McLarrin Fissure Karst last
weekend and I borrowed your compass, I have it.  Let me know your name and
where you are and I can get it back to you.

Keith Heuss

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I am posting this here, because this could happen at the edge of a cave
if you are not careful:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/11/12/english.or.kid.falls.from.cliffs.katu

I once saw something like this happen at a cave.

I was at "Little Brehmer Cave" near New Braunfels in 1990.

The owner, an elder woman named Mrs. Stahls, was standing next to the
cave edge and was talking and the next thing I knew, she was tumbling backwards
head-first into the cave.     She got right back up and laughed and
insisted she was
ok.   Then the hard-headed old lady got in her old
rusty truck and shifted into 1st gear and drove home with a small gash
on her head
all by herself.

David Locklear
Fort Bend County Armchair Cavers Association ( FBCACA )

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I was involved in a similar incident years ago....I was urinating just before
entering an unmentioned cave in Oklahoma....when one of my companions screamed
"SNAKE!!!!!"....I thought he was complimenting me....but look down and realized
I was peeing on a very pissed off rattlesnake....I leapt backwards....right
into the sinkhole....fortunately, I only fell around 6 feet...but tumbled and
rolled another 6 feet or so....my wet suit provided a little padding....but I
was left with a couple of good "cheek" scrapes....since my farmer john was
pulled down for the activity.....
I am glad that no one had a video camera!

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 12, 2008, at 8:37 PM, David <dlocklea...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

I am sure this was not funny at the time, but this did make me laugh right
out loud!

Sheryl

[...]

--- Begin Message --- Did anybody happen to get an e-mail address for that Saudi guy who was at the last UTG meeting? -- Mixon
You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
GIVE SOMETHING BACK TO YOUR LOCAL CAVING COMMUNITY.
WE JUST NEED YOUR HELP FOR A FEW HOURS!  IF YOU CAVE AT WHIRLPOOL, IF
YOU HAVE CAVED AT WHIRLPOOL, IF YOU'RE A TCMA MEMBER, IF YOU'RE NOT....

COME ON OUT AND HELP US FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS.

Reminder for cavers who will be in Austin this Sat.

CLEANUP: WHIRLPOOL PRESERVE
TIME: 9-12
NEEDED: loppers and any type of tools that can cut small brush and weeds.
I'll bring trash bags, gloves, all the tools I can gather, we're meeting at the
preserve at 9. PLAN: Trash pickup and weed whacking. All trash will be hauled
off site on Sat. and ALL
brush will be stacked to increase the berm along the south end of the preserve
to hopefully reduce some of our tresspassing issues by off road vehicles.

In the past month or so, WP has been the unfortunate recipient of not only lots
of illegal dumping, littering from the hiway overhead but, has also been the
scene of  numerous vandalism attempts to break into the cave.  Measures have
been taken to beef up our current access system process.
With all this negative attention, we need to rally and spruce the
 preserve up so we can keep a better eye on what's happening.  After all, YOU
ALL are our eyes and ears on the karst.
Without you all, and without your support, all we have is a bunch of holes in
the ground. With you all and with your support, we have a community, we have
caves to visit, and new caves to discover. So, come on out and support one of
your local CAVES by helping us cleanup the preserve.

Thanks,
jules

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
All,

The minutes to the historic 2008 TSA Fall Business Meeting held at TCR are now
online.

I use the term "historic", as this is the business meeting where it was decided
to transfer approximately $7500 from the Land Fund to the Texas Cave Management
Association to be put towards paying off the Deep/Punkin Cave Preserve
purchase.

This and other worthwhile information, can be accessed directly at:

http://cavetexas.org/PDF/TSA/Minutes-2008-10.pdf or from

http://cavetexas.org/TSA/meetingminutes.html, the page with all the minutes
links.

Thanks to Butch for posting them and maintaining our excellent website!

Mark Alman
TSA Secreatry

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
      Louise Power said:

>As a proofreader/editor/writer myself, I think the question should be, why do
>authors think they can publish a book without a proofreader and an editor? My
>experience is that I am my own worst proofreader.

      That's definitely true.  The author already knows what (s)he want to say,
so it is way too easy to slide right past an error or confusing passage and
never see it.  It helps to let a document rest for a few days and then reread
it after it's less clear in your mind, but even then some errors go unnoticed.
In the last year I have noticed a dramatic increase in typos and spelling
mistakes in all kinds of online and published documents, including
professionally published scientific reports, etc.  The mistakes are usually of
the type that wouldn't get caught by a spell checker, such as using a singular
noun or verb where plural is required.  A human proofreader would see that
immediately.  My guess is that either due to time constraints or budget
limitations, editors and proofreaders are going by the wayside.  :-(

Mark Minton

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
At 08:22 AM 11/13/2008, John Brooks wrote:
I was involved in a similar incident years ago....I was urinating just before entering an unmentioned cave in Oklahoma....when one of my companions screamed "SNAKE!!!!!"....I thought he was complimenting me....but look down and realized I was peeing on a very pissed off rattlesnake....

You really gotta be careful here John--those peeing on a rattlesnake stories will destroy your credibility.

I am glad that no one had a video camera!

Had there been a camera your credibility would have been increased. Now expect some creative caver to go out and make a fake 'peeing on a rattlesnake' video.

And,
At 08:41 AM 11/13/2008, Sheryl wrote:
I am sure this was not funny at the time, but this did make me laugh right
out loud!
Sheryl

Count on it, Sheryl; it woulda been funny even then--way funny.

--Ediger