Every day for the last month it has been raining. I love it! But that  means
the water is up in what few caves we have to offer, so you might as  well
accept it and plan to get wet!

As you know, Alan Cressler and company plan a pre-convention camp in
Marianna. If you go I highly recommend canoeing the beautiful Chipola river
downstream from Florida Caverns State park.

Closer to the convention, Ichetucknee springs run is still relatively
pristine and beautiful but highly regulated due to it's popularity. On summer
weekends the possum cops restrict it to a mere few thousand people at any one
time. My advice is to get there early on a weekday. Many of the cool  karst
spots
are supposedly off limits, but it would be hard for them to keep a  swimmer
from becoming gator bait if he or she insisted on swimming into a  cavelet or
grass patch. There are some nice trails that parallel the river too.  One thing
is certain, even in summer you will freeze your butt off if you swim  or tube,
so I recommend a wet suit or canoe. Absolutely no food or containers of  any
kind are allowed, including bottled water. There are regulations about all
such things so I suggest you contact the park before making any  arrangements.

If you want to take a long strong swim in an unregulated area, preferably
aided by a canoe with a cooler full of beer, then I highly recommend the Santa
Fe river between Rum island spring and the rt. 47 bridge. It is about a 6 mile
 trip. Along the way you will pass the justly famous Ginnie springs complex
and  many other crystalline springs, as a result of which the water will become
 progressively colder as you go downstream, but it is still warmer than
Ichetucknee which is completely spring fed. The Santa Fe is a relatively clear
dark water river which becomes clearer the further downstream you go. The
scenery is beautiful but not equal to the Itch since it is less pristine. As
far
as I'm concerned, the best part is swimming through the rapids where huge
boulders have caused potholes that are filled with treasures including numerous

fossils, arrowheads, etc. All the while beautiful aquatic vegetation is
swirling  around you concealing the alligators! It has been raining this summer
so
the  water levels could be high and the water dark??? If so just zip into any
of
the  spring runs!

You can rent canoes, diving gear, camp, and buy goodies at Ginnie Springs.

Lars Anderson is in the canoe rental business and does the Santa Fe: Lars
Anderson,  Adventure Outpost 386 454 0611. He has a competitor who is  located
right on the river: Jim Wood 386 454 2050

If you want an actual adventure I recommend the gulf coast. It is the
closest thing to real wilderness we have left in Florida. The way to do  that
is to
contact my buddy Brack who has sit on top kayaks for rent and will  tote the
boats to whatever locations you wish. He mostly operates out of  the Cedar Key
area.You can contact me for some secret spots. If you go at  high tide you can
expect to reach places rarely visited by man! Here is your  contact: Brack
Barker, _brack154@msn.com_ (mailto:brack...@msn.com)  ,  _www.wild-florida.com_
(http://www.wild-florida.com)  352 528  3984, cell 226 2251.

Plan to get wet!

Sleaze