Just a reminder, September 19 is International Talk Like a Pirate Day.
http://www.talklikeapirate.com/

Avast> From: imoca...@comcast.net> To: tag-...@hiddenworld.net;
o...@texascavers.com> Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 10:53:30 -0400> Subject:
[ot_caving] "Anything that Floats" competition at OTR> > ANYTHING THAT FLOATS
COMPETITION> > It´s OTR´s Year-of-the-Pirate!!! In keeping with the spirit of
piracy, OTR> 2008 will feature a new competition called "Anything that Floats"
- a race> on the high seas, or the Tygart, whichever is closer. Blackjack
Tobias> Robertson invites all pirates over the age of 16 to participate in
this> point-to-point race where acts of piracy are encouraged and booty awaits>
the winner. Below are the Articles of Agreement which all pirates must> follow
in order to participate.> > The race is intended to be a group effort. Minimum
number of pirates is 2;> there is no maximum.> > * All pirates must sail inside
the ship.> > * All ships must actually float on their own, without support.> >
* Motors are not permitted; all ships must be man-powered.> > * Ships cannot be
real boats, canoes, kayaks, or rafts. Ships must be> built and can be made out
of any materials - gallon milk jugs tied> together, a bath tub (if you can get
it to float), skis, foam, etc.> > * All materials and ships must be packed out
of the campground, not left> on-site or thrown in the dumpsters.> > * Admiral
John Harris will inspect all ships for safety and adherence to> the Articles of
Agreement. All ships must pass his safety inspection in> order to race.> > *
Race at your own risk! You are responsible for your own safety and> welfare. If
you think you need safety equipment, such as a life-jacket,> please bring it
with you. Safety equipment will not be provided by OTR or> TRA. TRA, OTR, and
individual persons volunteering for TRA or OTR will > not be liable if you get
hurt.> > * Minimum age is 16. All pirates ages 16 and 17 must have parental >
consent to participate; and a parent or LEGAL guardian must be present.> > *
The Admiral will determine the length and direction of the race > depending
upon the river conditions; and he may call-off, delay, or > stop the race if
river conditions are not favorable.> > * One grand prize will be awarded to the
winner of the race. The > winner is the entry that arrives at the finish line
first, still floating under its > own power, with all pirates still aboard
(except those that accidentally fall in > the water).> > * A second prize will
be awarded for the most original/creative > entry, based on such things as:
costumes, pirate role-playing, ship > originality/creativity.> > * One group
can win both prizes. Both prizes will be determined by a> panel of 5 judges
immediately following the race. Both prizes will be> announced and booty will
be awarded to the winners immediately following> the race.> > * The race is not
part of the Speleo-Olympics.> > * The race is scheduled to occur during the
River Party on Sunday. > Exact time will be announced in the "COOT and Holler"
and will be > posted at the River Party stage, the Party Pavilion, and area
bulletin> boards.> > > PIRATE CODE OF CONDUCT DURING THE RACE> > * Acts of
piracy to sink or stop another ship are encouraged; but are> limited to
throwing water balloons or shooting at each other with water> pistols. Content
in balloons must be un-dyed/uncontaminated potable or> river water (natural
pollutants already exist in the river water; don´t> add more to it). Water in
balloons cannot be frozen. Limit is 1 dozen> balloons and 1 dozen water pistols
per ship.> > * The Admiral may inspect water balloons and water pistols and may
> disallow any for any reason. Water pistols may not contain enough > pressure
to actually injure another person.> > * Head-shots are prohibited; all shots
must fall below the neck. > Torso, arm, and leg shots are the only type
permitted. The aim is to enjoy> the role-playing, not injure another person.
Hitting the ship with water> balloons or water from water pistols is OK.> > *
Physical contact between pirates of another ship is not permitted. Do> not hit
another pirate or their ship with anything other than water from> water pistols
or balloons.> > * Accidental bumping between ships may occur; but it may not be
> purposeful.> > * Don´t run over a pirate that accidentally falls in the
water. If a> pirate falls in the water, leave them be so they can get to safety
as> quickly as possible.> > * Except for accidental dunking, all pirates must
remain inside their> ships all the way to the finish line.> > * Accidents
happen. However, any pirate caught using prohibited > materials to hit another
pirate or sink another ship, or caught > purposely trying to injure another
pirate, will result in his/her team> being disqualified from the race.
Depending on the severity of the> offense, the entire team could also face
expulsion from OTR and/or TRA or> even being brought to the attention of legal
authorities. So play nice!> > Spectators can encourage their favorite teams as
they see fit; but may not> tamper with other ships or throw anything (including
water balloons or> water from water pistols) either in the river or at any
ships or> participants. Only participants may be "armed" with water balloons
and> water pistols. Spectators and participants are subject to TRA and OTR>
rules. Misbehaving spectators may be press-ganged or forced to walk the>
plank!> > We want everyone to have a good time. Keep to the Code - Take no >
prisoners!> > >