Well,
It is beginning to look like short wave UV is preferable, but not easily
created.
(Short wave UV LEDs seem to be made from unobtanium.)
I've found some good short-wave UV lights, but they do require more exotic
materials - as Mark Minton pointed out - and are a lot more expensive and
not LED driven.
So a less than ideal direction is probably where I'm heading - trying to
find the shortest wave UV LEDs available (350nm?) and combining a load of
them wired densely together in a hand held "gun" composed of a project box
with some kind of handle attached for cave crawling and path illumination.
(Oh, and does clear polycarbonate or 'Plexiglas' block UV light as glass
does?)
Thanks for all the contributions!
-WaV