Just for the record... and I hope others will chime in as well.
I do NOT believe.
I think that abundant life is out there, and somewhere there are other
creatures pondering the possible existence of us, as well.  Yet the physical
obstacle of getting from one island of life to another is so substantial
that this species will never, ever get to see or experience any other
"sentient" beings.
Even if we do leave this planet for an interstellar journey before we
destroy ourselves, I am sure that visiting another solar system will be, for
those making the trip, a one way experience.
We have, as a species, developed a brain complex and rich enough in abstract
thought that we are able to convince ourselves that we have seen things
which we have not - and experienced that which does not and has not ever
existed.  This to me is the realm of of flying saucers, spacemen, rods and
gods.
-WaV