Wouldn't the locals living near the jalapeno farm in Mexico have gotten sick
long before the gringos?

I have a theory based on watching my wife and her mother eat.
( They are both from Mexico ).

Their digestive system must work completely different than mine.       I can't
eat anything spicy.       They eat lots of spicy foods, almost at every meal.
They also can leave food out for hours or even days and still eat it
and it doesn't
seem to bother them.

They seldom seem to have any stomach ailments.

I wonder if this is a DNA thing, or just that they ate spicy food since they
were a toddler?

I also wonder if their immune systems are different.        If I go to
bed with wet
hair, I will wake up the next morning sick.       They claim they get
sick if they
dry their hair.