I am sure someone out there is about to make a big announcement.

Now that the 2008 NSS Convention, it is time to get excited about the
2009 Convention.

I am certain everybody on Cavetex already knows better than me that in less
than 12 months,
the NSS Convention is coming to Kerrville.      And not only that, it is
held in
conjunction with a much bigger event - the International Congress of
Speleology.

I will let others explain the importance of that.

I will say that Dr. George Veni, spoke to the attendees of the NSS Photo
Salon about the ICS.
It would be safe to say that he emphasized that it was very important that
every
caver support and attend the ICS.      He also mentioned that normal
deadlines for
things like presentation papers come much quicker for an ICS.     Some of
the deadlines
are just 4 months away.

On the subject of the NSS Convention part of the event, I would like to add
the following:

For me, I had wanted to join the NSS in 1984, but waited till 1987 in order
to save up enough
money to buy a life membership.   my first real NSS introduction came at
a BOG meeting in Houston
in 1988 or so.   ( Bellaire of all places ?? )

But it was the 1994 convention in Bracketville that made me want to go to
more conventions.

I decided then to make convention attendance a priority in my life.

But recently my life has taken a different direction.      I got married to
someone who is
not interested in caves, got a car payment,
a house note, a toddler, and am experiencing employment problems, and an
economic
crisis with the rise in gas prices and the cost of living.      So long
range planning of
convention attendance seems un-realistic.

I hope to volunteer and provide some constructive support to ICS.     I hope
to attend
the NSS Conventions in Colorado and Vermont.      However, I am not sure
what will
happen after that.        At the rate things are presently going, I can see
that I will have
to skip a few conventions.      On the otherhand, I also want to attend
Karst-o-rama, and OTR and
other regional caving conventions across the country.     I have not done
any of those
yet.

Hopefully, I will someday land a good paying job where I can attend all
these caving
events.

I can see that there are a handful of cavers who seem to have there entire
life
revolve around caving.       I just don't see that in my destiny.

David Locklear
arm-chair caver in Fort Bend County