I've been hearing about such an engine for 20 years.  In practice, using
compressed air is almost exactly the same thing as using a big "spring".
Energy in <=> Energy out
Many times I've wondered if I had a mechanical spring to store the energy I
use when coming to a stop - and used that wound up spring to get me going
again - how much my mileage would be increased.  I'm pretty sure at least
5mpg and maybe as much as 10mpg (city driving, of course).
I believe this would easily be more efficient than "Hybrid Technology".
-WaV