Actually it wouldn't have to cost so much.  You can have an insert installed
that has a bolt through it.  After which, gas thieves could just remove the
bolt instead of drilling another hole in your tank.
The best solution would be to set an example to other gas thieves by
installing holes in their scull with a high to medium velocity projectile.
But other than killing off the low life - I think the best solutions might
possibly be the most cost-effective ones.
-WaV