I received the e-mail below this afternoon and thought I'd pass it on.

In 1999, I ran across an interesting study on beak deformity in Alaskan
black-capped chickadees. The deformity causes the beaks to grow extremely long
and cross like the beak of a scissorbill. I started corresponding with Caroline
Van Hemert at USGS, the study's author. She's a very interesting woman and has
since found several other Alaskan birds with this same deformity, including
corvids (crows, ravens, etc), hawks, flickers, pelicans, etc. In the past
couple of years, these deformities have been found in birds in the Pacific
Northwest.

The cause of these beak deformities is not known and the range and type of
birds with deformities seems to be growing. Last year, crows with beak
deformities were reported at the Portland, OR, airport.

Caroline's updated site is really informative. Since most of you are out of
doors a lot, you might happen to see one of these birds. If you do, the site
below has an online form with which you can report the bird. I know Caroline is
interested in finding out how wide this anomoly has spread.

Louise> > Caroline R Van > Hemert/BRD/USGS/D > OI@USGS To > > 05/30/2008 12:30
cc > PM > Subject > Beak Deformity Website Update > > Hello,> > As summer
nears, we wanted to send out a big thank you for all of your help> in
collecting beak deformity observation reports. We've had great response> to our
online reporting system with more than 300 reports submitted and> continue to
receive important information and photos from Alaska, the> Pacific Northwest,
and around the world.> > We've also expanded our research to include
Northwestern Crows and have> begun several new projects focused on Black-capped
Chickadees. For more> information, please visit our recently-updated website
(check out the new> "Photo Gallery" and "Current Research" links):>
http://alaska.usgs.gov/science/biology/landbirds/beak_deformity.> > Enjoy
summer and thanks again for your assistance with this research!> > Caroline> >
NEW CONTACT INFORMATION:> > Caroline Van Hemert> Wildlife Biologist> USGS
Alaska Science Center> 4210 University Dr.> Anchorage, AK 99508> Phone
(907)786-7167> Fax (907)786-7021> cvanhem...@usgs.gov>