Copied from TAG.  Texas cavers will pass right through Marianna on the way to
the Convention via IH10.

 2008 Preconvention Camp in Marianna, Florida
     By: Manuel Beers  (Decatur, Georgia)
         gooberh...@gmail.com

<<2008 Preconvention Camp

August 2-8, 2008

Marianna, Florida (Florida Caverns State Park)

Matt Kalch and Alan Cressler are hosting a preconvention camp in
Marianna, Florida August 2-8, 2008. We have arranged to use the group
camp at Florida Caverns State Park. A donation of $20 per person will be
given to Friends of Florida Caverns State Park so the money will be used
in the Park. Otherwise the camp is free.

Marianna is located in one of Florida's largest caving areas. We will
have access to several of the longer dry caves.

Activities include: caving, canoing, and spring snorkeling or
diving. There will also be an opportunity to do restoration work in
Florida Caverns (Florida's only tour cave) on two nights during the
camp. All the wild caves in Florida Caverns State Park are *not
open* to the public. There is a nice hiking trail that winds through
the limestone outcrops.

The camp will be located within a short distance of restaurants and
grocery stores. The park gate will be closed at night but we will have a
combination to the lock. Restrooms will be available. You will need to
bring a tent.

There will be several canoe trips available on clear spring fed streams with
caves along them. People with canoes or kayaks are encouraged to bring them
but there are also rentals available.
http://www.bearpawescape.com/ratesrules.html

There will be at least two canoe or kayak trips.

Matt and Alan will arrive at Florida Caverns Friday evening August 1,
2008. We encourage everyone to arrive Saturday August 2 but we can
arrange a Friday arrival.

Contact Alan Cressler via email at alan.cress...@gmail.com or 404-307-
9545 for questions or to sign-up for the camp. We are limiting the
camp to a maximum of 20 people. As of July 11, 2008, we already have
10 people.

Thanks,

Alan Cressler NSS 24392 >>

That's where I started caving in 1967.