Finally -
The news WAS that it would be implemented on Jan 1st.
When I got in a major fender bender back in March I couldn't find a current
copy of my insurance proof card.
They gave me a ticket, but was able to contest it without going to court by
taking my insurance evidence to the nearest city court tax office or
whatever you call it.  After waiting in line for thirty minutes to visit a
nice clerk behind a desk, they said "thank you Mr. Cooper, we'll take care
of it."
But it was obvious the new neato system was not in place.  Otherwise when
the cops came to check out the accident - they would have realized I was
indeed insured, just by running my license plate or drivers license number.
-WaV