Here is a story about how a fancy desktop computer
can be used in a real world application to replace a more advanced
special purpose computer.

     http://www.tomshardware.com/news/PC-supercomputer,5513.html

It is related to CT scans of the body.        It is apparently more
common now for a
doctor to diagnosis a patient after having a CT scan than it was a few
years ago.

Hopefully in 10 years, these scans will be much less expensive, and
it will be more cost efficient to do scans sooner, than later when a problem
is suspected.

I was inserted into a CT scanner 2 weeks ago.     I had 2 scans in the
abdominal area - 1 without the iodine injection, and 1 with.    And 2
similar scans in the pelvis area.
I would have like to have had the lungs and the head scanned, since I was
already in the machine with all the barium fluid and iodine
injections, but that
would have been at least another 2 thousand probably.

David Locklear