Mark's comments are a good start.  For a more detailed essay, see:
http://www.cavetexas.org/mexico/tools.html

===Carl Kunath
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Minton, Mark
  To: David Ochel ; texascavers@texascavers.com
  Sent: Sunday, June 08, 2008 8:45 PM
  Subject: [Texascavers] RE: which truck spare parts to take to Mexico?

  David,

  >I am wondering which spare parts for your truck y'all usually take with you
when going to remote areas?

        It partly depends on the age and reliability of your vehicle, but I
would take at least one of each type of radiator hose and each fan belt,
although nowadays you might only have one long serpentine belt that you might
not be able to change in the field even if you had a spare.  :-(  I would also
carry a spare fuel pump, injectors, fuel filter, a couple of spark plugs, a
thermostat, U-joints, and wheel bearings.  Some of these may be available in
Mexico, but some may not, especially if you drive an older Toyota or other
model of vehicle not sold there.  Some of these you could change in the field
if you have the proper tools, and others you would still have to get to a shop
for, but having the parts once you get there could still save a lot of time.  A
good tool box is just about as important as the parts, and I also carry a
12-volt compressor and tire plugs.  I would also take some fluids, like a
couple of quarts of oil, some transmission fluid or gear oil as appropriate,
power steering fluid, brake fluid, and coolant.  I keep all of this stuff in a
couple of milk crates which are always in my truck wherever I go.

  Mark Minton