It seems that Washington has its Biblical fundamental ties to Isreal.
Washington also has its financial/oil ass-kissing ties to the Saudis.
Saudi Arabia is a SUNNI muslim country - which are apparently moderate.
Many other of the SHIITE muslim countries are sworn enemies of the US.
That's it in a nutshell.
(Help! get me out of this nutshell!)
-WaV