From: Gill Ediger [mailto:gi...@worldnet.att.net]
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 3:02 PM
To: texascavers@texascavers.com
Subject: [Texascavers] Music in Caves

At 02:22 PM 7/10/2008, bmorgan...@aol.com wrote:
>Now back to music in caves. The best I've ever
>heard was the time I went to Fantastic pit in
>EllisonâEUR(tm)s cave, 586 feet of fabulous
>acoustics! I was with group of people from TAG
>that I didn't know. Imagine my surprise when
>several revealed themselves to be Broadway song
>and dance geeks by singing hits that
>reverberated up and down the pit! If I ever go
>back I plan to take a boom box and play
>WagnerâEUR(tm)s Ride of the Valkyries! But come to
>think of it, wouldn't it be more appropriate to
>play that while plummeting into the abyss of Valhalla?

Way back in the '70s I had the honor of aiding
and abetting a ceremony/concert in Snedegar Cave
in West Virginia (now part of the Friars Hole
Cave Preserve). The main cave is a huge chamber
about 10 meters high and 20 or 30 meters wide and
300 or so meters long. Most of the sediments had
been dug out for saltpeter during the Civil War
so the floor was mostly flat. Everyone was
instructed to bring chairs or blankets.

We had several large speakers located both in
front of and behind the audience--which may have
totalled a few more than 100. The musical
bill-of-fare was Jethro Tull's "Journey to the
Center of the Earth" and another long and
beautiful album of synthesized cave sounds and
cavey music (the name of both the French artist
and music I've forgotten) that went on for the
better part of an hour--much of it in total darkness. It was a WOWer.

--Ediger