Bassist for the album "Zoot Alures" was a different guy than Zappa had back
when he recorded Bongo Fury, but Patrick O'Hearn wasn't his name. In 1975,
Zappa was still working with several of the original "Mothers" - but by
1978, he had basically alienated the Mothers and had put together a new
group of younger musicians for Zoot Alures (Richard Redus, Jeff Moris
Tepper<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Moris_Tepper>,
Bruce Fowler <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Fowler> (Tom Fowlers
brother, who played bass on Bongo Fury), Eric Drew
Feldman<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Drew_Feldman>and Robert
Williams).
Perhaps the 'Zoot Alures' you mention is something other than the Album.
Patrick O'Hearn is very young compared to the Zappa camp - (his bio says he
was born in 1954)  It seems that he did some studio work with Zappa during
and after 1978.
Albiet - yes, I concur with what you're saying about O'Hearns deep cave
studio.

In a somewhat off coincidence though - Beefheart did an album in 1976 that
was never released - called "Bat Chain Puller".

-WaV