James Hunter of the Pajarito Grotto in New Mexico says that they can now
get vehicle permits and windshield stickers for Mexico at the Mexican Consulate
in Albuquerque.  That is apparently also true in Austin and Dallas.  That would
be a tremendous time saver at the border.  Even better, it looks like you can
apply for your vehicle permit by Internet and have it mailed to you!  See
<http://www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx/aduana_mexico/2008/index.html>.  Click on
English at the top, then select Passengers arriving by land, then Where can you
obtain the permit? and How much does it cost and how do I pay?.  It costs more
at the consulates than at the border, and even more by Internet, but I think
the time saved would be well worth it.

Mark Minton