Hi,

The last time I was at the Mexican consulate in Austin to get a car permit (before Christmas, long wait), there was also an official running around whose sole job seemed to be canceling permits. There was a (short) line of cars outside of the consulate getting their permits canceled. If you make sure your permit it valid for half a year when it's being issued, this should make it way easier for people living near a consulate and going to Mexico often. Spend an hour or a few at the consulate twice a year, and you are all set.

Cheers,
David