Odds are highly in favor of the tilt-a-mite working with no capacitor at all.

Back in the day.. those flashes were powered by a 15v Carbon Zinc battery. which had pretty high internal resistance, and would not sustain 15 volts into a high load for very long. Since the time it took to change out a flashbulb was on the order of several seconds, even a week battery would be sufficient to charge up the capacitor. The capacitor provided sufficient impulse energy fire off the bulb.

The M3 bulbs (I think that's what fits in the tilt-a-might) will fire off of 3 volts. You *Might* get away with a couple of AA NiMh batteries in series. The higher the voltage the faster the bulb lights up.

I am guessing that you for cave work the shutter is open, so a little firing lag (on the order of 10 milliseconds) won't make much difference.

As usual, my advice is free, and worth as much..

Cheers..

Rob (a Texas caver at heart but stuck in upstate NY where the caves are COLD).