Here's something to keep you awake tonight. It is from page 44 of "Guangxi 2005," an expediiton report published last May in Britain. Please, don't anybody mine this for wine-making tips.-- Mixon
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
TNT HORROR - YU LONG DONG EXPOSED
By Emma Porter
Yu Long Dong, or Desecrated Cave, is more like a working mine than a cave. Ged and Bruce, together with Chinese cavers, had commenced the survey in March 2004 and I had heard them speak about meeting stal workers in the cave. Marci and I undertook two consecutive surveying trips into this fossil system, which is a significant cave in its own right.

The entrance accommodates a couple of water tanks, water which is used for the village in times of drought. The cave itself seems to provide the biggest source of employment for the village and locals accompanied us on both trips.

After a slightly shaky start, as we had difficulty locating the 2004 survey station, we left Oxford Circus in the pursuit of discovering what lay beyond the question mark on the map. We were following a huge single passage, adorned with massive calcite bosses but which on closer inspection had been stripped bare. Perilous pieces of bamboo scaffolding straddled even the very top of the bosses in the stal thieves' attempt to mine the cave. We found huge 4m sawn-off stals, bound in rope and resting on bamboo poles, ready to be extradited out of their home of the cave. Hundreds of smaller sawn-off formations could be found lined up, ready for removal to the outside world.

We continued the entire trip, following this single passage, shadowed by three locals and listening to the squawks of cave swiftlets. The end of the passage was reminiscent of Claytondale and it was like reaching the peak of a mountain as we finally attained the top of the slope which merely closed down.

We were horrified on the way out when one of the Chinese cavers who was with us, started filling his bag with formations that had been lined up. Not only was he stealing from the cave, he was stealing someone's hard work, gave his tackle bag to the stal miner to carry out and was quite happy to pose for a photo with the evidence of his crime! Marci and I were left speechless at such action Our horror continued the following day as we explored TNT Passage for 800m, passing bosses, gours, cave pearls, two noticeable craters and then the destruction commenced. Bamboo scaffolding hung abandoned from the ceiling of passages, explosives had been used to make tunnels through calcite bosses that blocked passageways, 2m sawn-off curtains were found left abandoned in the middle of a chamber, the bare core of formations remained, stripped naked of all their glory amongst a sea of shattered fragments of calcite which covered the floor. The desecration seemed worse than Jiang Zhou Cave System, maybe because it felt more like a mine with the use of explosives. We could see the formations ready to be transported out and we could witness the stal mining happening in front of us in real time.

It was about 10pm when we exited, having left a couple of dubious leads and finishing the day at a muddy sump with just under 1 km surveyed. We arrived back at the Taliban Wagon (our expedition 4WD transport) to be greeted by locals who proudly invited us into their home where a pig had been killed in our honour. Our host was very friendly, allowing us to wander around, showing off his television and he found it highly entertaining that we were totally mystified by the dried millipedes in his kitchen, apparently for use in his wine- making!! Many photos were taken, food eaten, wine drank and we eventually left our friendly reception and headed into the black void of the night.

You may "reply" to the address this message
came from, but for long-term use, save:
Personal: bmi...@alumni.uchicago.edu
AMCS: edi...@amcs-pubs.org or sa...@amcs-pubs.org