Not another dog gone rescue story,

Pardon me if I'm repeating myself but I'm getting old.  Geez, I don't know what
it is about Kentucky coon hounds but they'll chase a raccoon to just about
anywhere.  I helped rescue two coon hounds that had chased a raccoon into a
cave in Adair County.  It was a tight miserable hole with a cold stream running
out.  Turns out that the hounds, Joker and Chomper had been in the cave for
about a week days before we got the call.  Since I was in the cave rescue team,
we figured we had to go out and rescue our fellow cavers - whether man or dog.
We entered the cave expecting to find two dead dogs as a coon can drown a dog
in water.

After crawling in the stream for about 1,000 feet, we came across two large
dogs on a ledge over the water - about face high.  They had been curled up on
the ledge and were glad to see us.  However, we couldn't convince the dogs to
jump in the water.  The room in front of the ledge contained a pool of water
about 4 foot deep.  Just large enough for 3 people to sit and not be in reach
of the business end of the dogs.  (We were a little apprehensive as we had
heard that if you spend more than 3 days in total darkness, you would go
insane, and since most coon hounds are already insane, after three days, they
would be down right biting crazy).

Since we couldn't convince good ole Joker and Choper to jump into the cold
water on their own, one of the bright guys with me decided that maybe they were
hungry and would be more cooperative if we fed them something. (who would have
thought after 4 days on the ledge, they would have been hungry).  So he pulls
out a can of tuna fish and opens it up.  Now there were three cavers and two
hungry dogs in a relatively small room with one can of tuna.  Needless to say,
there was one heck of a dog fight on the ledge.  All I saw was teeth, tails,
fur, and asses rolling around on the ledge.  I managed to get against one of
the walls hoping the dogs wouldn't like the taste of my wet suit.  I thought
for sure that my handy dandy plastic bag in my hardhat would literally become a
handy dandy bag for my friends hand as the dogs tried to eat the tuna fish, the
can, and his arm.  However, he was pretty quick and didn't lose a finger.

After what seemed like and hour but was probably more like 5 minutes, the dogs
calmed down.  We ended up using a piece of tubular webbing and tying it around
their collars and pulling them into the water.  Once the got wet, they followed
(swam) on out of the cave and didn't appear the worse for wear.  The owner was
glad to see them and told us they were worth $500 a piece.  He also wanted to
know if we had caught the coon as he said it was worth $30 if the dogs hadn't
chewed it up too bad.