David Locklear wrote:
Even though I am not lifting a finger to help in the pre-planning
stages, I do support the effort to ask for cavers to volunteer.

Lots of opportunities exist for volunteering with the 2009 ICS. There is a large core of people who have already been working for more than a year on planning and organizing ICS 2009. We still have lots of needs for people to help with the pre-planning and organization. We also need volunteers to work at various tasks during ICS. Those tasks include information, registration, the howdy party, the banquets, etc. We also need general labor help for setting up and taking down ICS. If you want to volunteer for any of these types of tasks, contact Nancy Weaver (nan...@io.com).

During ICS, there are also many trips being planned. These trips include caving trips (both wild and commercial), bat viewing trips, and noncaving trips. There will be trips each day to different places and there will be evening bat flight trips. The ICS is a different from the NSS Convention in that on Wednesday, there are no scheduled sessions. Instead, it is a trip day. Everyone is encouraged to go on a trip. We are planning on having 2000 people at the ICS and we are planning on sending all 2000 people out on trips on Wednesday. This means that we have an incredible need for volunteers to be trip leaders.

The job of the trip leader includes answering questions, making sure everything happens on schedule, driving a van (depending on the trip), being a host, and making sure that everyone makes it back. Leading trips is a fun way to meet lots of people and a great way to show off our local sights.

The wild caving trips require that the trip leader be familiar with the cave. That means that you need to make at least several trips to the cave before ICS. Yes, that means that you and your friends or grotto will be set up with access to a really great cave. I know that many really nice and, in some cases, seldom visited caves have been set up for ICS. If you are interested in leading trips to wild caves, contact Travis Scott (tra...@oztotl.com). The sooner you contact him gives you the most caves to choose from to lead trips to.

For noncaving trips--things like trips to Seaworld, canoeing, Hill Country Winery Tour, San Antonio Riverwalk--we need trip leaders too. These trip leaders will also need to be familiar with the trip they are leading. The trip leader acts as a host, guide, and all-around knowledgable person. If you are interested in leading one of these trips, contact Joe Mitchell (joemitch...@satx.rr.com).

Trip leaders are also needed for trips to commerical caves around Texas and evening bat flight trips are being planned, too. For more information on leading one of these trips, contact me (a...@oztotl.com) and I will direct you to the appropriate person.

For more information about ICS, visit the website http://www.ics2009.us/. Start making your plans to attend now as July 19-26, 2000 is just around the corner.

Allan Cobb
Chair, Social Programs
International Congress of Speleology 2009
Kerrville, TX