At 12:21 PM 2/7/2008, dirt...@comcast.net wrote:
I seem to recall that back in the late 1960's (around the time of the 1968 Springfield MO convention), Jack Hershand was developing Marvel Cave and hatching his ideas for Branson, MO. One of his early promotional photos included a balloon (I think Hot Air, at least something with a passenger gondola) in the cave, probably in the Cathedral Room.

I think that balloon flight was done some (maybe quite a few) years before the Springfield convention. There was a photo of it in one of the then popular US caving books that had come out a few years earlier. Alas, my caving library is in Texas and I am not.

And you are right, Dwight, it was a remarkable convention.

--Ediger