Actually -
On my last caving trip I was not planning on doing any caving at all.  All
my caving gear had been loaned out.
I got talked into it and did so with a borrowed helmet and lousy light that
failed - as luck had it - no backup, but of course I was not alone and
another of my party did have a fine LED backup.
This obviously is not how it should be done.
I did make exceptions to the "golden rules" of caving and survived
nonetheless.  I don't intend to make a habit of it.
At least I DID have a good pair of boots (and borrowed elbow and knee pads.
Thanks to David C.!)
I mean - if Bourdain knew what he was getting into - I figure he'd been
better equipped or otherwise he'd simply turn down the opportunity.
-WaV