Now we're really getting off the subject of caving, but...
I imagine that a chimp could learn to swim.  Its hard for me to tell if I
"learned" to swim, but it does not seem like a built-in set of reflexes came
into play.  Apes are so closely approximate to our own bodies - I cant see
anything that would keep them from swimming - aside from freaking out by
being in such an inappropriate environment.
-WaV