From: Alex Sproul [mailto:imoca...@comcast.net]
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 9:25 AM
To: o...@texascavers.com
Subject: [ot_caving] Re: oil prices

>I have a feeling that we will never get to celebrate the day that oil
prices fall

>below $ 100 a barrel.

>LED flashlights from China are less expensive.  Any thing else?

I was shocked yesterday to see that Tyson chicken breasts are
$5.50/pound, comparable to a decent steak.

But then, when I was a kid, I got an allowance of 50 cents a week.  That
got me into the Saturday matinee (double feature westerns, newsreel, and
an hour of cartoons) ($.20), a candy bar ($.05) and a soda ($.10), and I
still had $.15 left over.  The same entertainment/snack today would cost
you close to $20.00.  It's inflation.

So, in 1950, or even 1970 dollars, neither gasoline nor chicken is any
more expensive now than it was then, maybe even less.

In 1970, gas was about 35 cents.  Now it's $3.50, a ten-fold increase.

In 1966, I bought a brand-new sports car for $1,400.  A similar vehicle
today would cost at least $28,000, a twenty-fold increase.

Ergo, gas has remained stable with an inflating dollar, but cars are way
more expensive (though, I'll grant, much more complicated and nicer).

Gasoline is still a bargain, though since oil production has peaked, it
will not remain so for long.

The real issue is whether your paycheck has inflated as much as the
price of the products and services you buy.  My allowance has inflated
quite nicely, thank you.

Alex (who obviously doesn't have enough to do today, either)

--

Alex Sproul, NSS 8086

NSS IT Committee