From: Louise Power [mailto:power_lou...@hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 11:12 AM
To: RD Milhollin; Geary Schindel; texascavers@texascavers.com
Subject: RE: [Texascavers] RE: (OT) El Paso: West Texas Character

I'm not sure when this discussion between Blair (whom I met when I lived
in Houston) and Dwight (whom I've known since my active days on the NSS
Conservation Committee) took place, but it reminds me of my first trip
to Terlingua back in the early 60s with Mills Tandy, Tom White and a
bunch of other people. I was at UT in those days and the bunch of us
went on a camping trip to BBNP. At the end of the first day, a bunch of
us hot, tired hiker/campers stopped in at the store in Terlingua for a
cold "beveridge." There was a goat in residence at the store at that
time and, as we sat down on the front porch to imbibe, the goat sneaked
up behind Tom White and started munching on his straw hat. I think he'd
already taken a big bite out of it before Tom realized what was
happening. Same goat? Who knows. Depends on when this incident with
Dwight took place.

> From: rdmilhol...@charter.net
> To: gschin...@mindspring.com; texascavers@texascavers.com
> Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 21:57:41 -0600
> Subject: [Texascavers] RE: (OT) El Paso: West Texas Character
>
> I was passing through El Paso the other night as well, though I did
stop.

> On the way back I was trying to find a listenable radio station and
stumbled
> onto 93.5 FM, which was probably broadcast from Alpine or somewhere
else.
> The program on was pre-recorded, and was an interview with Texas
> photographer Blair Pitman. This was at about 9:00 CDT Monday, November
26.
> The host was a guy named John Glendennie (your spelling may vary) and
he
> sounded English, but Blair came through loud and long as a Texan, even
> though he stated he has only been here since age 6.
>
> The part of the interview I heard did not have any caving references.
He
> mentioned working for the Houston newspaper, spending years
documenting the
> Big Thicket before it was a Park, and that in fact the National
Geographic
> article that featured his photographs may have been very influential
in
> having the land designated by the Feds. He went on talking about his
time
> photographing celebrities; the story about getting drunk with Arthur
Fiedler
> after (after, right!?) a Houston Symphony concert, scotch of course,
was
> especially memorable. The guy with no shirt in the Thicket who invited
him
> in for coffee was cool as well. He was talking about a book he wrote
called
> "Tales from the Porch" and originating from Terilingua, and one of the
tales
> included was the oft repeated experience of Dwight Deal, "Dirt Doc"
that
> Blair titled "Get Your Goat" involving alcohol, a camp fire, a deep
mine, a
> beer can, a railroad tie, and the afore mentioned goat.
>
> Blair came across as highly conversational, a little ornery, and very
> interested in people and Nature. Does anyone know about whether this
> interview is available on recorded media? A copy should be on file
with the
> TSS at a minimum. I am sure more of the interview was broadcast before
of
> later and most likely included caving tales.

Seems
> that many people take the name El Paso literally and pass through El
Paso on