To: "John P Brooks" <jpbrook...@sbcglobal.net>
Cc: <texascavers@texascavers.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2007 11:46 AM
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] First Annual Conference of Creation Geologists

This reminds me of an excellent podcast interview I listened to while driving back to the Metroplex after caving at Mammoth Cave with the Cave Research Foundation over Thanksgiving. The folks at "This Week in Science" were interviewing Donald R. Prothero, a paleontology professor from Occidental College in Los Angeles. It seems he's an expert on prehistoric rhinoceroses (or is the plural rhinoceri?):

http://faculty.oxy.edu/prothero/index.htm

The discussion focused on his efforts to educate the general population about the vast paleontological record for evolution. He was also plugging his new book "Evolution: What the Fossils Say and Why it Matters," which can be purchased on Amazon.com and would make a lovely holiday present, especially for middle-school and high- school students. He claims that it's a waste of time to enter into rational arguments/debates/discussions with creationists (I refuse to capitalize that word) as they are close-minded and are not going to change their minds about their beliefs. Their children might be persuaded to listen, however; you can download this podcast at

http://feeds.twis.org/twis/science

Choose the podcast from November 13, 2007; the interview is the second half of the approximately 45 minute show. He had some worthwhile thoughts and suggestions about how to interact with people who haven't yet made up their mind about evolution.

Diana