Funny, at La. Tech they had an actual "pile" within bricks of lead, carbon
and cadnium and stuff with real uranium inside it.
It wasn't large enough to be self-sustaining.  It was what they call
"sub-critical mass".
The nuclear nerds that spent most of their free on-campus time there, loved
to demonstrate with a Geiger Counter - "Nuclear Reactor:
-tick                -                        -tick.

Now, Cinder Block wall: - tick tick      -tick tick tick
-tick       tick             -tick tick"
Granted, the Geiger Counter could have been seriously sensitive...

The  Nuclear Science building was probably constructed in the late 50s or
early 60s.  Cinder origin unknown but all interior walls were all painted
cinderblock.

Ooooo!  As I reminisce  - let me lay on to you cats a really cool blue light
these egg haids had in their lab..... At the bottom of a 20 foot deep pool
of pure clear water, cobalt ingots rested at the bottom.  With the lights
off you could see the cool blue light of the radiation striking water
molecules.
Now here's something really twisted - you could take a glass object like a
beer pitcher and lower it down on a string near the cobalt - and after a
couple of days, your clear beer pitcher would have the wierdest yellow/brown
color.  Neato.  Like, gamma rays actually striking atoms - corrupting the
elements somehow to make amber pigmentation withing the silica.

-WaV