There's no reason to fear Google any more than any other service.

Google is at least being up-front and honest about what they're doing.  We
don't know much about the other guys.

Unless you're taking insanely heroic measures to encrypt your data, most of
it is wide open to anyone with access to the network path.  Every bit that
flows through your internet connection can be monitored.  Every email you
send goes across the network in cleartext, and many copies are being made on
various machines as it makes its way to the recipient.

Is everyone who has handled your data erased it from their systems?  Maybe.
Maybe not.  Often people will tell you your data has been erased, but in
reality it isn't.  It hangs around on backup tapes.  It hangs around on hard
drives.  It even hangs around in databases.  Some databases never really
delete data.  They just mark it as "deleted".  It never goes away unless
someone specifically cleans up the data, and with storage costs getting so
cheap, there isn't the motivation there used to be.

In short, you have to assume everything you're doing over the network can be
monitored or recorded.  There is no real privacy unless you're doing
encryption.

George