For the past 2 years, my 1992 Toyota 4x4 truck has been
rusting away in a lot at my office.

I once had plans of travelling the Sierra Madres in
it.

But after getting married, buying a house, and having
a kid, I can' t seem to find the time or the money to
get the truck running and street legal.

My landlord is giving me 4 days to haul it off, and at the
moment it is not driveable, nor does it have any stickers
or insurance.

I am considering paying to have it towed across town
to a rural storage unit, and storing it away.    But the
cost of doing that over a long period of time doesn't seem
to make sense, especially if I never get around to fixing
it up again.

I seem to have to much sentimental value in it to sell
it for scrap metal.      Have you ever had to let go of
a beloved car before?

It would take quiet a bit of time and money to make it
pass inspection, and I don't have either at the moment.

My other concern is that whatever time and money I do
spend on it, would be better spent on my daughter; such
as giving her piano lessons or something.

I used to drive this truck to TCR and other events.   It was
a maroon Toyota 4x4 and had a really nice pop-up slide-in
camper on the back.     I even drove it to Brinco once, and
it made many trips to the Bustamante-Candela area, and
to Mexpeleo 3.

My other factor to consider is the cost of purchasing a similar
but slightly newer truck, such as a 1993, 94, or 95.

In a best case scenario, I could have the 1992 truck up and
running in a year or 2, but what value would it have then?

It seems that no matter how much money I sink into it, that
it will never have some of the features of the new Toyota
Trucks.     From that perspective, it would be a poor investment
to spend any more money on it.

If you have any suggestions, comments, or advice, please
send them to me privately.

My long term goal is to buy a diesel 4x4 SUV, such as the
new Jeep, but that will have to wait 10 years or more.

David Locklear