The two big players are Sirius and XM.  They use different satellite
technology, but the companies are in the process of merging at the business
level.  It looks like both hardware platforms will be supported for the
foreseeable future.

Technical aspects aside, as a conservative I prefer XM.  Hippie liberals
like Sirius.  It's the programming.  That will probably go away with the
merger.  If there are specific channels you want now, be sure to check the
channel line-up.

As for car setups, the most basic is like the after-market CD
changers....the thing hooks in-line with your radio antenna, and you have to
turn to a particular frequency to hear the unit.  You typically need to
install an additional external antenna somewhere on your car to pick up the
signal.

More recent cars may have audio-ports (like your home stereo) or specific
hookups for either XM or Sirius receivers.

XM is built-in on my car.  I use it all the time and prefer it to "regular"
radio.

Obviously, these radios don't work in caves.  Some cities have terrestrial
repeaters so the signal doesn't vanish in tunnels or concrete canyons.  I
loose the signal occasionally when going under some underpasses.

For home use, you often need a window (with no metallic coating or screen)
with a clear view of the sky.  XM, which uses geo-stationary satellites,
requires southern exposure.  Sirius uses many satellites in low Earth orbit,
so the positioning is less critical, but it's also more variable in
dependability.  You can get antennas to mount outside your house to get a
good signal.

The only dissappointment I've had with XM is when they dropped "Polka
Planet".

George