Saturday afternoon, I found myself sitting around the house and
it was a beautiful day.      I assume by then, cavers were lined
up in the TCR food line.

I started procrastinating on whether I should drive 5 hours to
TCR only to arrive there in the dark and after missing all the events.

I wasn't looking forward to the drive in my little car, all alone with nobody
to talk to.     And my 3 year old daughter, was saying,
"daddy, stay home and play with me."      The ice-cream man drove
by and I bought her a Tweety-bird fudge-cicle.      I figured that was
a sign from Oztotl, that I had made a faithful effort, and I was now
free to go.

Now, the problem was, all of my camping gear was on the other
side of Houston.     I was just going to have to go without it.

Fortunately, the weather was perfect for car-camping.

I left my house in Fort Bend county at nearly 5:00 p.m and it took
me an hour just to get to Katy.     I had to pull off there and stretch.
( Katy in the rear-view mirror; for me, means that I am finally out
of Houston, and on the way to better places )

I drove almost non-stop to where I thought I would find a town
called "Rio Medina."      The route I took to Rio Medina ( Hwy. 211 )
didn't have gas stations, and I arrived there on fumes.     I decided I better
drive 6 miles to Castroville and get gas.     That turned out to be
a good decision.   [  Running out of gas near Paradise Canyon at
night would have been a real bummer. ]

I arrived at TCR after 10:00 and there was still a taco left at the
food table.    I was able to say hello to
a few people and watch a TCC slideshow, before turning in.

I was wiped out and had a touch of car-sickness.
Unfortunately, I didn't pack bug spray, and I was too tired to
get out of my sleeping bag and go bum some off of somebody.
But once it cooled off, I was sound asleep.

The next morning, I was able to say hello to a bunch of friends who
I hadn't seen in over a year or longer.      Fortunately, Bob & Bob
was still open, and I was able to get a new book and a t-shirt.   And
many of the other vendors were also open, and I was able to get
some more stuff.

And I even got to unload some old junk that had been laying around
my house.      This generated $ 93 for TCMA, and it was fun.

I had to get back home to the realities of life.     I didn't get to talk
to many people, but I did say hello and goodbye to quite a few people,
who I won't see again for several months if not a year.

I would say it was 245 miles from my house to Paradise Canyon by
the route I took ( Texas Research Parkway ).     It may be a few miles shorter
and faster, by the Stotzer Freeway ( State Highway 151 ).

I would like to add that most of the cars on I-10 between San Antonio
and Houston, appeared to be late model crew-cab trucks with diesel
engines.    Lots of Fords, a few Dodges and even a Chevy Duramax.
I only noticed one hybrid - a Ford Escape.    [  2 of the Jeep dealers
along the way, had diesel Cherokee's on their lots, but I still haven't
found one with Quadra-Drive. ]

It was an uneventful and boring drive - 10 hours out of a 27 hour trip.
There appears to be a good restaurant - The Oasis," near the Lake
Medina Dam.     I didn't have time to stop and eat and just snacked
on some Oma's turkey jerky till I got home.

http://www.omaschoice.com/jerkey%20price%20list.htm

David Locklear