From: "Minton, Mark" <mmin...@nmhu.edu>
> I like Mary Thiesse's friend's comment:
> >>If you serve Paella on a piece of bread to a Spaniard, and you tell them
> >>that
> is paella they would probably leave the table.

The first paella I ever actually saw was served on (in) a large (20-inch
diameter) pizza dough sorta flat bread turned up nearly 2 inches (well, maybe
1-1/2") at the edges (like a Conans deep dish pizza) and that filled with the
yellow rice which was topped with the sea food and vegie mixture--including 2
or 3 of what looked like crawfish, probably some sorta small lobster--and
mollusks of several sorts still in shell. Eating it was a rather messy
proposition (like fried chicken or shrimp or crabs) as it required a lot of
food fondling prepatory to actual eating.

The whole flat bread/edible pan thing could well have been another variation on
the free-form nature of paella in the first place. I will admit that I think no
paella I've had since has had the bread bottom--and I have noted that and
wondered why not. But the bread bottom certainly made it handier to deal with
and eat, sorta like a pizza--as opposed to a loose, gloppy rice & food mixture,
I mean.

My only complaint was the lack of chopped green chiles or salsa picante to take
it over the edge to the next dimension of flavor.

--Ediger