Ediger said:

>But basically, I think, the overridding theme of paella is the conglomeration
>of sea food with other (practically any other) added ingredients. The need for
>it to be served on a flat bread seems to be fading.

      The other necessary ingredient is rice.  I've never heard of Paella over
bread or noodles.  I like Mary Thiesse's friend's comment:

>>If you serve Paella on a piece of bread to a Spaniard, and you tell them that
>>is paella they would probably leave the table.

      The first paella I ever had was in Baja California near Ensenada.  It was
spectacular, with all manner of seafood including tiny octopus.  It also had
chicken and chorizo.  Yum!

Mark Minton