Back in the late '60s as cavers at Texas A&I at Kingsville we used to use the
roof of the football stadium press box to rig ropes from and practice
rappelling and prussiking. The stadium was surrounded by about 40 acres of
unobstructed parking lot, mostly just dirt with a smattering of caliche spread
upon it. There was a group of physics/engineering?? students who were building
large kites and trying to make um fly. They had built a box kite that was the
size of a Volkswagon bus--or nearly so--and had a 1/4-inch nylon rope as the
kite string. (We were rappelling on 7/16ths Goldline.) Of necessity, the wind
needed to be moderately brisk to launch the thing but that gave it significant
lift, as well. I remember at least 6 extremely surprised team members rushing
to help 2 or 3 launchers (who were being lifted off the ground several feet)
hold the thing down and under control and all being dragged along and often
jerked from off the ground for literally 2 or 3 hundred feet before stil
l more people--including some of us cavers--pitched in and helped them get it
steadied up and reeled back down to the ground. If we hadn't been there just by
chance they wouldn't have had enough people to get it back and I'm not sure
they would have had the wherewithall to just let go of the line. We had gloves
and some of them didn't and still the rope cut into my hands so much that they
hurt for several days afterwards. I'm sure that some of them had open rope
burns as a result of it.

The damned thing flew well--perhaps too well--and pretty much of its own
accord. (I think if they'd had a pole to tie it to it might still be airborne.)
No one was hurt except maybe a few who fell down and were dragged a short
distance and scraped before figgerin out that they could let go.

I recall they also had a huge but more traditional T-kite on another occasion,
but couldn't get it to fly reliably. They kept adding tail to stabilize it
until the tail got so heavy it dragged it down.

--Ediger

From: "Robert E Burnett" <bburne...@austin.rr.com>