From: David Locklear [mailto:dlocklea...@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2007 10:52 PM
To: Texas Cavers
Subject: [Texascavers] OT - the monarch butterfly and Mexico

The monarch butterfly is in the news again.

I think protecting the butterfly is in the best interest
of cavers and caving.

For example, I am almost certain that the migration path
includes a pitstop for a day or 2 at Grutas de Carrizal
in Nuevo Leon just east of the town of Candela.

Maybe a caver could document that or some other
karst area where they stop along the way to rest.

I believe that the area around the Nacimiento de
Rio Sabinas and high above there near the
famous cave of Joya de Salas is most certainly
another place.

And high above the town of Gomez Farias there
are probably areas where they are known to stop.

Do bats eat them?      If so, that could be another
opportunity for a caver to do some investigating.

I have never seen a butterfly in the twilight zone
of a cave.      Are they a speleo-phobic species?

David Locklear