About ten years ago I was camping with some old friends from Indiana in Big Bend. We were just north of the mountains. My friends were asking the park ranger about fossils so, the park ranger sent us to igneous rock. Smart move of conservation on the rangers part, those guys couldn't keep finds out of their pockets.

Anyhow, I was taking a morning walk and out of a small clump of trees a buck jumped out, stopped took a look at me and hauled ass. I thought that was kinda cool and wathched him off into the distance, (you can see forever in that part of the country.) Just as I started to move on, another rustle came from the same area. I just got a glimps of its shoulder and tail as a mountain lion took off like a rocket in the other dirrection. I just ruined his breakfast and was glad I wasn't a second choice on the menu.

From: Mike Flannigan <mikef...@earthlink.net>
To: Cavetex <Texascavers@texascavers.com>, speleoste...@tx.rr.com
Subject: [Texascavers] Re: About big cats
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 21:56:40 -0600

In 1978 or 1979 my brother and I took off from St. Louis
in a Levi's Gremlin I owned and drove to Austin for the
Willie Nelson picnic he first held on that golf course
he bought for the concerts.  BTW, does anybody here
know if that was 1978 or 1979?  I've been thinking
1979 all these years, but now think 1978.  That is when
we learned what great partiers Texans are.

Then we drove across the country to Yosemite.  Did
a 3 day hike from Porcupine Flat to the top of the
main falls, then hiked up the Merced river? to the
campground about 7 miles above the falls.  On the
way to the campground we were in the creek bottom
and had a large cat on the cliff above us.  It was not
real big and was not really stalking much, but I think
it was a mountain lion and not a bobcat.  We were
not very afraid of it even though it was pretty close -
probably only 100 ft away.  We just thought it was
checking us out, which is probably the case.

Mike

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007, speleoste...@tx.rr.com wrote:
>Subject:        About big cats
>   Date:        Thu, 12 Jul 2007 4:56:24 -0700
>   From:         <speleoste...@tx.rr.com>
>     To:         Texascavers@texascavers.com
>
>Big Cats
>      By: Gary Stewart  (Gadsden, Alabama)
>
>I wanted to comment on the big cat story I just read and relate some of
>my experiences. The only mountain lion encounter I have had was in
>Steele, Alabama west of Gadsden in 1979. There was a cattleman in that
>area thet was offering a $1000.00 dollar reward for the killing of a
>"black panther' that had been killing his cattle. Myself and 2 friends
>decided we would try to collect on the bounty since we were young and
>stupid and I had just returned from overseas in the Navy and need the
>money. We were several miles up into an area and new we were close
>because you could smell where it had marked its territory. We went up
snip