I am now safe at home back in Houston, and plan to eventually post the
rest of my convention story.

This is my Wednesday afternoon-evening report:

After leaving "Eric's River Cave," I drove only 5 minutes down the road
( about 1/2 mile as the crow flies ) to the commercial cave Wyandotte
( pronounced Wine Dot, I think ).

I only had time for the short tour which is in "Little Wyandotte Cave."
I was not impressed with this cave, but it was fun to be underground.
There was one unique formation in the cave that was not pointed
out by the guide.     It looked like an olive but it was thin and hollow.
I don't know if it was a fossil ??

After that, I drove down the hill and had dinner on the Ohio River at
a well known patio restaurant "The Dock."      Apparently they make
some of the best fried pickles in Indiana.     They were very delicious,
and I don't recall eating them before, certainly not cut lengthwise.

I ate dinner there with 2 cavers that were doctors.     I have already
forgot their names.     There were just too many names to remember
at the convention.     There were lots of other cavers eating there
too.     Most of the cavers I know fall in the poor caver category, so
it is always interesting meeting cavers who have real jobs and money.
They rented a fully loaded Chrysler Aspen for the convention with
satelite radio, DVD-Navigation, AWD, etc.

After that, I explored some of the backroads in the area
around the town of Leavenworth.

I rushed from there back to camp to watch my favorite band,
"The Terminal Siphons."       I tried to enjoy the 1st set, but I was
tired and sleepy.     I was planning another day of caving the next
day, so I had to leave after the first set and went back to the tent.
There were several hot girls on the dance floor dancing.
One was from Alaska and said she has
her picture in an alpine cave on the cover of the NSS Directory.
Someone else will have to post a review of the concert.      I didn't
recognize all the songs in the 1st set, and I would be guessing to
tell you what kind of music some of them were.     I could have
swore I saw Ernie Garza dancing, and Bill Rupley, and Terry
Raines and Family.     Lots of cavers were taking pictures so
I am sure they will be posted somewhere.     One guy appeared
to be making a 3D-video ???

I got the impression from a few Hoosier girls that I talked to there, that
it is common for a young lady growing up there to be interested in caving
or at least trying it once.     I don't
believe that is the case here in Houston, but maybe it is because
we just are not trying to find them.      The girl on our trip to
Eric's River Cave; Heather, works at Marengo Cave.     Another
girl dancing there, Jill Vance ( I think ) said she worked at Spring Mill park
( which has adventure cave tours ) and she goes caving all the time, but
just in southern Indiana.

2B continued ...

David Locklear