Here are just a few pictures from a very nice caving trip that
I went on in Indiana last week:

Eric's River Cave:

http://groups.msn.com/DavesCaves/nssconvention2007.msnw?Page=3

In the group photo ( # 61 ), I am the in the black shirt with
blue stripes.    I am pretty sure this was before we went in the
cave.

The strecth-polyester suit worked o.k.     In the entrance crawling
passage, this  suit allowed me to squeeze thru tighter stuff,
but it snagged on sharp rocks.     If I had to do it again, I would just
wear my nylon overalls with some stretch shorts underneath.

That is me in # 71.    I think the photographer took this shot
after I came out of the entrance crawlway which is about 50 feet
long.

Rubber gloves were not necessary for the passages that
we went thru.   I used them in the
entrance crawlway only and changed gloves for the rest of the
trip.     My other gloves were part
neoprene part nylon, and they worked pretty good in that cave,
to protect your hands from the cold wet rock and mud.    For the
entrance crawl, good leather gloves would have been the best
thing.

Photo # 62 shows Chris Schlotter who opened up the cave with
dynamite.   [ His friend Eric showed him the crack in the sinkhole
were a stream emerged and lots of airflow. ]    Chris' grandparents
live down the road and have about 40 acres near Wyandotte Cave.
Chris is a very good photographer and a nice guy to cave with.

The girl in photo # 62 is Heather and works at the ticket booth
in Marengo Cave.

Photo # 77 shows what about 90 percent of the trip looks like
( however, there is probably quite a bit of cave beyond where
we stopped )     The stuff on the right is not brown limestone
but a peanut-butter like mud.    There are tons and tons of
it in the cave.     Your feet are cold and wet for hours depending
how long you were to stay in the cave.    However, there was
only one spot where you stepped down into a pool that was
waist deep.     So the only time your upper body got wet
was when you slipped in fell on the muddy rocks.

I would like to thank Dave Becker for these photos.      Chris
took a few shots on the trip with multiple flashes, so maybe
he got a good shot.

I will probably never go back to Eric's River Cave, but I highly
recommend it for anybody that wants to see a cave that is
mostly walking passage.

Where does that water come from?     I bet there is more cave
there waiting to be discovered.

The huge Wyandotte Cave is about a mile away as the
bird flies.

I do have one thing I would like to add.     Upon my arrival to
Indiana, the 1st road that I went down when I began my
travels here, was ironically, the gravel road to Eric' River Cave.    I
got within about 200 feet of the trail leading to the cave, not
knowing a single thing about the geology or caves of the
area.     I could not find any sign of karst or caves.    It looked
like hundreds of roads in East Texas, so I turned around and
drove to more promising areas.    I was quite surprised when
they showed me on the topo map where Eric's River Cave
was.

I did see an area in the streambed down stream from Eric's
River Cave, that looked like some kind of sinkhole, but
I couldn't see down into it because of all the poison ivy,
and I really didn't believe at that time, that there could
be a real cave in such an area.     I mentioned the hole
to Chris and he said it had just opened up, and a friend
of his had checked it out, but hadn't found cave passage
yet.

David Locklear