I just had a telephone conversation with Mike McMahon with the precinct
in which Terry Hershey Trail Park is located and he said that there are
indeed two bat houses on the trail. They are both close together north
of Memorial Dr. and south of I-10. He said that they are about three
years old and were built to BCI specifications but have not been
occupied by bats as they had hoped. They introduced Mexican free-tails
to them but apparently they did not establish a colony. He speculates
that the bats may not like the location because of the large, high
electrical power lines adjacent to hike/bike trail. When the weather
dries up some, the county plans to erect several bat houses in other
areas known to have many bats in the area. He mentioned the area around
Story Lake as a future preferred site. We know that they are here so
let's hope that if we build it they will come.

Your ass reporter for the west end. (oops). - Geezer